Monday, August 11, 2008

Solution for the Pain Pinch: Music Therapy

Time for some music therapy. Music is a powerful healing force recognized around the world in many cultures. The beats, the lyrics, and the tones resonate within a person's soul. Even though personal preferences vary, the healing effects from music do not vary. Music evokes an emotional, calming feeling of positivity. Listening to music can actually lower heart rate and blood pressure. Plus, the beauty of music is that anyone (even those who can't hear it, but can feel it) can appreciate a melody, a harmony, and everything in between. ICU's, operating rooms, and nursing homes are all unleashing the power of music. Why don't you?

When I heard "Rocks in Your Shoes" by Emily West for the first time, I completely stopped what I was doing and turned up the volume. Go ahead and take a listen.


Those living with pain know that there are "stones in the road" (More like an entire gravel truck dumped on you sometimes). Part of the keep-going attitude requires that "you learn to walk with rocks in your shoes." Sure, pain can become your "poor me trophy". But ultimately, the choice of being "down" or "getting mad" is up to you.

The bitter blame game of finding fault is definitely a "weed" in your garden. Don't let it "trip you up" and keep you from moving on. So, "you better learn to walk with rocks in your shoes" and just keep going.

If you have a favorite tune that eases your pain, share it below because communication creates solutions.


Rocks In Your Shoes
By Emily West

So you had some bad luck, life sucks Can't do nothin' right You took some wrong turns, Got burned way too many times And so you fall back with all that Hurt that just don't wanna heal

So then you do the why me, This can't be happenin' again Hey what's the deal man I can't take much more of this You put your time in Paid your dues Believe me I know how you feel

I guess you gotta make a choice When it hits the fan You can get a little down or get a little mad When there's stones in the road only one thing to do You gotta learn to walk with rocks in your shoes Come on!

I heard some good lies from bad guys Makin' me their mark They did a drive by bang, bangBig hole in my heart Needed a crash cart, CPR Sister I was fadin' fast

I had a poor me trophy Kept it on a shelf Did the too proud, Too cool to ask for any help But when I gave in prayin'I only got what answered back

And he said, I guess you gotta make a choice When it hits the fan You can get a little down or get a little mad When there's stones in the road only one thing to do You gotta learn to walk with rocks in your shoes(x2)

Bitter's like a weed If you let it grow It's gonna trip you up, yeah Somewhere down the road To get where you're going There's only one thing to do You gotta learn to walk with rocks in your shoes You better learn to walk with rocks in your shoes Come on!

Keep on walkin' with rocks in your shoes

No comments: